Normal potato salad is fine, but it has never been something that has excited me. It usually just seems like a big bowl of mushy, bland potatoes. I decided to kick it up a notch by using red potatoes, bacon (lots of bacon!), whole grain mustard and several other ingredients to create a potato salad that is anything but boring! We really do call this The Best Potato Salad!
This potato salad is delicious when eaten still warm, or if you let it chill first. This would be a very well-received side dish to bring to a get together this summer! One of the flavors that stands out the most in this to me, is the whole grain mustard. I love that you can still see and taste the grains. It really gives this dish that little something extra. I like this mustard, but go for any brand you like!
To make this potato salad, you will want to wash and cut your potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Boil them and then let them cool a little. Cook and chop your bacon as well. I like to cook my bacon in the oven, because it is easier, makes less mess and cooks more evenly. I really like to cook my bacon on this stone. You will then mix up all of the other ingredients and then fold everything together and enjoy!
The Best Potato Salad
- 2 lbs red potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces, and boiled until fork-tender
- 1 lb bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonaise
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 6 green onions diced
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and boil them until fork tender. Drain them and set them aside to cool slightly.
- Cook the bacon, drain it and chop it. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the vinegar, mayo, mustard, green onion, red onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix to combine well.
- Add the potatoes and bacon to a large bowl. Pour the mayo mixture on top and toss until well coated. Serve warm or chilled.