These patriotic pinwheel cookies are perfect for Memorial Day, The Fourth of July, or really any day! These could also be excellent for themed birthday parties like Superman or Spiderman! This recipe may seem to have a lot of instructions, but don’t be intimidated, it really is not hard at all. These cookies could easily be made in any colors you like. Change them to red and green for Christmas or maybe green, purple and blue to make mermaid cookies. The possibilities are endless!
Products I recommend for this recipe:
Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies
- 1 ⅓ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- red and blue food coloring
- sparkling sugars or sprinkles optional
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Split the dough into three equal portions. Spread out one large piece of plastic wrap. Place one portion of the dough on the wrap and use your hands to spread the dough out into a rectangle that is approximately 10in x 12in. Wrap the rectangle of dough up completely with the plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. This will be the white part of your cookie.
- Remove one of the other portions of dough from the mixing bowl and set it aside.
- Turn the mixer on and add red food coloring a couple drops at a time until the dough has reached your desired shade of red. Spread out another piece of plastic wrap and form a rectangle with the red dough like the white dough. Wrap the red rectangle up and place it in the fridge.
- Wash out the mixing bowl and tools to remove any red residue. Repeat the previous step with the blue food coloring and the last portion of dough. Leave all three rectangles of dough in the fridge to firm up and chill for 30 minutes.
- Spread out another large piece of plastic wrap. Unwrap each of the rectangles of dough and stack them on top of each other on the new piece of plastic wrap. Press down slightly to form the rectangles together.
- Using the side of the plastic wrap, gently lift up on the dough and roll it over. Squeeze the dough together as you roll to ensure it is forming a tight log like shape. Continue rolling until the dough is one long cylinder. Wrap the entire piece of dough with the plastic wrap and place it back in the fridge for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 375° and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. *Optional – if you would like to you can roll the log of dough in sparkling sugars or sprinkles at this time.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the dough into 36 cookies. Place the cookies on the baking sheets and bake for approximately 8 minutes.