It’s easy, it’s cheesy and clean up is a breezy! Okay that was pathetic, but I couldn’t resist. This One Dish Mexican Chicken and Rice is quick and simple to throw together and you will only have one pan to clean up when it is all said and done. This is loaded with chicken, rice, corn, cheese and all the flavor you could want. Top this with fresh cilantro and lime, avocado or sour cream and enjoy!
Here are some tips for making my One Dish Mexican Chicken and Rice:
- In this recipe, I used diced chicken breasts. If you would rather use chicken thighs or even rotisserie chicken, they will work as well. If you opt for chicken that is already cooked, you will want to wait to add it after you cook the onions and garlic.
- Chose your salsa based on how spicy you like things. We like this dish to be pretty spicy, so I use hot salsa and I also use a pretty good amount of cayenne pepper. You can use mild or medium salsa and you can also customize the amount of cayenne that you use.
- If you want to make this dish even more filling, you can add in a can of drained and rinsed black beans or kidney beans.
I recommend the following products for this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this! Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
One Dish Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ lb chicken breast diced
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 16 oz salsa
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayene pepper more or less to taste
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Add the onion. Sautee until the chicken is cooked through. Add the garlic and sautee 2 minutes longer.
- Add the: rice, salsa, tomato sauce, chicken broth, corn, cumin, chili powder and cayene pepper to the skillet. Combine and allow to come to a slight boil.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and place and oven safe lid or aluminum foil securely on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, remove the lid or foil, stir the chicken and rice slightly and then sprinkle the cheese on top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro, lime, green onion or sour cream if desired.
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
Some of the links in my post may be affiliate links. I may make a small commission off of these links. Thank you for your support!