Today my big girl had her first dress rehearsal for her first dance recital ever. It was such a fun an exciting thing to experience with her. From the costumes, to the hair, to the makeup, she was all girl and all about it. On top of the dress rehearsal, we also had gymnastics and two baseball games today. Add a total of four small kids to that, and you have two very busy and very tired parents. We had a couple hours of down-time, so I wanted to make sure to prepare at least one home-cooked meal for the family. I had some random stuff on hand, and with that I came up with this Mexican Chicken and Biscuits Skillet.
I feel like some of the best meals come out of random ingredients. That’s when I am forced to really get creative and think about what I am using. I had some chicken and a can of biscuits that I bought a while ago, but never used. I decided that with a sauce, and a few other things added in, these things could make something amazing.
I love using my cast iron skillet and I am always trying to come up with recipes centered around it. If you don’t already have a cast iron skillet, you REALLY need one. This is a great one to consider. Cast iron heats food so evenly, and it is naturally non-stick. Once you have one, you may also want to consider making my skillet cookie, pizza chicken skillet and skillet lasagna.
I used ground chipotle to season this dish. We like things spicy, so I used more than I recommended in the recipe. You can always add more as well, or you can cut back on it or even eliminate it all together if you want. It does add a nice touch of spice and a hint of smokiness as well.
Mexican Chicken and Biscuit Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium red onion
- 10 oz enchilada sauce homemade or store bought
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle more or less to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10.2 oz can biscuits each biscuit quartered
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream and cilantro for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- On the stovetop, heat a large skillet (oven safe) over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and diced chicken to the skillet. Cook the chicken for approximately 3 minutes. Add the diced onion and cook for approximately 5 more minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add in the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, cumin, chipotle and salt and pepper. Combine well. Add in the quartered biscuits and black beans and fold in.
- Place the skillet in the oven, and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 10 more minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.