So, I have never really been a fan of desserts with nuts. I don’t really know why. I love pecans, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, and all of those on their own, but I have always been one of those people who thinks that nuts ruin a dessert. I can remember my mom always loving sweets with nuts, and I would be so grossed out by them. This Butter Pecan Poke Cake though, it has been a game changer for me! I am not sure if it is this dessert in particular, or maybe it is just because of my age and I have finally reached the phase of my life when I am into this kind of thing. Whatever the case may be, I am okay with it. No one else in my house feels the same way as me, and that means I get all of this fantastic deliciousness all to myself!
Here are some tips for making my Butter Pecan Poke Cake:
- I use a boxed butter pecan cake mix for this recipe simply because of convenience and because, sometimes, the boxed stuff is just as good. If you would prefer to make a cake from scratch, go for it! I am sure it will absolutely delicious!
- I like to use cool whip as the topping for this poke cake, but you could use refrigerated whipped topping or even homemade. I do feel like the cool whip holds it shape for a lot longer than other whipped toppings, but any of them will taste fantastic.
- I drizzle about 1/3 cup of caramel sauce on the cake while it is still hot (before the whipped topping goes on) and I also like to drizzle a little on the finished product simply for looks. You can leave extra drizzle on top off, and it will not affect your end result.
- PLEASE! Do not forget to store this in the refrigerator! The whipped topping needs to be kept cool for safety.
These are the ingredients you will need for this cake:
- Butter pecan cake mix
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Toffee bits
- Caramel sauce
- Frozen whipped topping
I recommend the following products for this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Butter Pecan Poke Cake
- 15.25 oz butter pecan cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup caramel sauce Plus more for topping (optional)
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 325° and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and water. Mix just until well combined. Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, or another similarly sized object, poke holes all over the top of the cake about 1 inch apart.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk and the caramel sauce all over the cake. Be sure to get it in the holes. Allow the cake to cool and absorb the milk and caramel.
- Spread the whipped topping over the cake and then sprinkle the pecans and toffee on top of that. Drizzle with more caramel sauce if desired. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small commission from these links. Thank you so much for your support!